Wednesday, June 29, 2005

We are the middle children of history. Doing jobs we don't like so that we can buy things we don't need. We have no great war, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd be millionaires and movie stars and rock stars, but we won't. And we're slowly learning this fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

Daniel Boone- Fight Club


Its difficult to say why I am writing this at 10 AM in the morning, while the market is open and all that, but well here it is.

Yesterday was terrible. I made a dozen prices. Exactly. And not a single materialized into anything. Quoted across benchmarks, currencies, options, swaps, even bonds. I don't think there was any product class or currency pair that I did not quote on, and yet there was no money made. No deal done. Really distrubing. I guess it was one of those days. Very very depressing. Today starts off at the same note. Made a few prices. Waiting for deals to happen.

I am absolutely fascinated by Financial Markets (note the case). I guess you can't to this job unless you are in love with it. There are times when I am going off to sleep and the sounds of lines buzzing (JD 92!!!), prices being shouted out (10 Dollar Yen!!!) just keep ringing in my head. Like last night. And I thought I was going mad. But this morning I came into work and told the same to Thakur- and he says even after ten odd years in this line of work, he too goes through the same. Remarkable. I guess the saying that a trader needs to wake up every morning feeling good enough to eat a whole bull is true. And that one about a trader being a man's man- THat one I particularly like. Really, there's no job like this one- the stress, the panic, the excitement, the thrill. THe sheer joy of markets moving and money being made. The depression of the markets moving again (this time against you) and losing money. Nothing quite like it to do for a living. On some days I have no nails left. On others when I leave for home I feel so tired- from all the shouting, the jumping around, the stress which completely drains the fucks out of you... Sam made a particularly astute observation the other day. Under stress humans discharge a lot of static. The more the stress the higher the frequency. And you can almost feel it in this room. 30 odd supercharged individuals, stressed beyond belief and each time someone brushes past, you feel that small static charge on your sleeve, or at finger tips. Last night when some one asked a trader for a price and he made a 5 pipper, the sales guy shouted "Go home!!!" instead of the usual mine, yours or pass. Such is the passion, the thrill, the excitement.


Hey... lines buzzing again. THis time for me and just heard the familiar- "JD 92 for you!!!". Bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home