Friday, September 23, 2005

A Decade of Decadence

A man can hide all things, excepting twain- That he is drunk, and that he is in love.
Antiphanes
Last night's debauchery and the acts which followed afterwards, must rank as one of the worst in a long and illustrious career as the house drunk for me. Not only did I get buzzed in about 5 pegs (I blame it on the empty stomach), in front of this PYT I have had an eye on for a long time, I left early- for no apparent reason, and ended up calling 3 women (absolutely out of bounds) asking whether they would marry me. I also dug up Tua's number from some old papers- quite commendable considering the relatively inebriated state- and called her up. Fuck knows why. The conversation was short and civil. As usual. With the customary promises of a longer chat some time soon. Fortunately, I stopped short of asking her as well. Then I called up my boss and cribbed to him about the world at large (aka 25th Hour), and then moaned about the (no) women in my life . Then I told him not to expect me at work today, because I was fed up of working for him. My boss to his credit, heard me patiently, and then asked me a single question- Was I getting married today?

I have had many embarrassing mornings after, but this morning is top of the charts. When my boss walked in to office and saw me steadily shrinking into my corner, he didn't even acknowledge my presence. Thankfully. He is the coolest dude I know. Actually, I don't think about that too much, because I have other bases covered as far as work is concerned. I sometimes wonder what Tua thinks of me though. Till recently, I only used to call / text her when drunk, and that too for no apparent reason. Or some times I would write these long long mails- on issues of probably no relevance to her. In return she would forward something or the other. I must say one thing though- in spite of the random manner in which I have gone about this thing, and after formally withdrawing her interests in me, she continues to react in the most civil manner. I guess it must be a fallout of a really good upbringing- or a lifetime's experience in handling drunks and pests.

Of the three, P's response irked me the most. Perhaps because it was the most accurate diagnosis. "Jayanta, you are spending too much time alone, or at best with people who matter least." And RV- in direct contrast had mentioned -"JD, you are a chronic case of nothing matters much, nothing much matters- and from here on, I refuse to take you seriously". Two women- one who's known me for little over three weeks and the other, well, claims to know me best.

Now for the regulation replies-
Dear Anonym:

Thanks for the compliments, though I must admit that you have been quite generous in this instance. The best things written on this page are other people's words.

I don't claim accuracy, or unbiasedness, or even possess the necessary education to speak with any degree of authority on the subject. In my case, my views are the sum total of our experiences. And while it is politic to be "accurate and unbiased", on my blog I reserve the right to remain as accurate as "an archer in a centrifuge". (Quite like the expression. Thanks!). Having said that, I might add, even here I prefer to refrain from commenting on any particular religion (let alone Judaism). I do have varied interests, but theology is not quite one of them. Indeed, my reference was entirely to the Jewish community, and not the religion they follow. Incidentally, did you know that Yiddish is a coarse, colloquial form of lingua franca, having its origins in German, as much as it has to Aramaic?

The reference to religion was some what an independent line of thought. But somehow one cannot think of Jews without having a lurking thought on the religion they follow- which is probably what led me to think along those lines. Surprisingly this time around and on this subject, I find myself nodding my head on most things you had to say. When I said unity, I tried to bring out the uniqueness of the concept of religion- as distinct from any other collection of people having similar thoughts.

Old Lady's Dream- It has nothing to do with Jews or even religion. But the connection is deeper, with something elsewhere on this page. And with some things that happened to me last week. Let it be...

While I respect your decision to remain anonymous, I think your usage of (very apt- I might say) idioms and phrases is a big big give away.
The One.
PS.
===========================================================
anonym (AN-uh-nim) noun
1. A false or assumed name.
2. An anonymous person or book.
[From French anonyme, from Latin anonymus, from Greek anonymos, from an- (not) + -onyma (name).]
=================================================================
T.O.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home