Saturday, July 23, 2005

Last Saturday I went about trying to buy a Scrabble set. Out of sheer laziness, and that I do not know many sports goods shops, I tried the few malls near my house which I knew had levels selling such things. Shopper's Stop had some thing they called Super Scrabble or some such thing - in a dazzling plasticky box- priced 700 bucks. And when I asked whether they had a regular board, they just looked at me with such disdain- Where's this guy come from!!! That look. I bet the guy at the shop has never ever played a single game of intellect in his life. And barely knows what Scrabble is. Probably only the barcode it goes by. Ridiculous. Which is why I like book shops. Most bookshops, at least the ones I frequent, often have some people at hand who are the regular bibliophiles. When you search for a book, they know where to find it, for they know that the The Diary of Anne Frank is non-fiction. They're people you can connect with.


The thing with this mall culture is that some how small essential low value items, which form the corner stone of our growing up years have gotten lost. Of the things available, nothing ever comes without a glam sham packaging, which in itself would ensure a 2% mark-up. And then the cost of establishment. That's why we need Mom and Pop stores.


I am losing hair. A fast receding hairline is what I would call it. And have noticed something else. That my hair is growing really fast these days. I think as a strand of hair realizes that it days are numbered, it tries to make th most of it. So while my hairline draws back, what remains grows longitudinally at an alarming pcae - about 2 cuts a month.

My aunt (and her husband) are celebrating their 50th marriage anniversary tomorrow. I feel like I am from a different planet altogether.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home