Friday, July 15, 2005

~~ "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."~~ Charles Schultz.
Today, I called Ramya. Out of impulse. And was told that she has gone out of town. Her Ammu said, call her on the cell and I asked the number. She couldn't believe that I didn't have her number. Gave it anyway.
I remember the last spoken full sentence face to face- RV you are looking for something. And I am too old, to not know that I am not what you are looking for. And the last word. "Naaley." Tomorrow. Yes, dear, we used to do it too, to ourselves.
Who is it that matters at the middle of the night? Who is it that you want to speak to when you're smashed beyond redemption? When doses of hash sizzlers induce that purple haze, and a catharsis occurs and some eternal truth dawns- something that has eluded you for the last quarter of a century. And then who do you want to talk to? At least, I know.
Went for the mixer last night. It was a different experience. Fun in bits, at least while you were with people who were there for fun. Writers, creatives, journos etc. But then a lot of people (business men, builders, weight trainers, umbrella makers) were actually trying to do business. And I had nothing to offer them. It dawned upon me how difficult it is to do your own thing. Here I am, wake up each morning and walk into this swank office. If the comp doesn't work, just call IT and holler. If the coffee vending machine has run out of your particular concoction, again holler. Just get in do what you do best, make your money and run. Everything else is someone else's problem and your excuse. But would that work, otherwise? Someone tells me, go circulate, promote your bank. And I said, that's not what I am paid for. There are other who should be doing it, and are paid, according to me, way beyond what is required to do so. I felt somewhat bad (not quite the right expression), for some people who have to spend a Friday evening selling their wares to a person like me, who is just there to have a good time.
It is a novel concept. I help you with my contacts and hopefully at some point of time, you pay the favour forward and in due course it finds its way back to me. I could see that happening and so decided to offer my services (in terms of names) to a couple of people who came along. I left early. Very sleepy. Not feeling too Friday. But then Ram called and he, wouldn't take no for an answer. So twice yesterday I succumbed to this.
Just took a small break. Went out to buy the latest Harry Potter. So now I am going to sit and read the same. No sleeping in office today.

1 Comments:

Blogger Blue Athena said...

I know where this came from! :) ;P

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home